Figures made of plastic celluloid. Theodoropoulos, the shadow player was the first who introduced the first kind of special celluloid and brought it from U.S.A. in 1923.
The professions of Karagiozis:
figures from classic comedies and plays, made by Eugenios Spatharis (1973 - 1988) .
- Karagiozis the Magician
- Karagiozis the Prophet
- Karagiozis the Doctor
- Karagiozis the Workman
- Karagiozis at Court
- Karagiozis the Bride
- Karagiozis’ donkey (his Mercedes)
- Karagiozis the Shepherd
- Karagiozis the Clown
- Karagiozis the Musician
- Karagiozis the Repairer
- Karagiozis the Veterinarian
- Karagiozis the Fakir
GREEK MYTHOLOGY: KARAGIOZIS AND THE "ODYSSEY"
Figures made by Eugenios Spatharis inspired from the mythic Homer's "Odyssey" in 1984.
- Odysseus as a beggar
- The nursemaid
- Odysseus (the King of Ithaca )
- Karagiozis as a hostler
- Morfonios as one of Penelope's suitors
- Goddess Circe
- Odysseus blinds the one-eyed Cyclop, Polyphemus
- Odysseus escapes from the cave of Polyphemus
GREEK MYTHOLOGY: "THE EXPLOITS OF HERACLES" - "PERSEUS AND ANDROMEDA"
Figures made by Eugenios Spatharis in 1984.
- Andromeda -
- The winged Perseus - Son of Zeus by Danae
- Perseus, Andromeda and Karagiozis on the winged Pegasus
- Gorgon Medusa slain by Perseus
- One of the voracious Stymphalian Birds
- The slaying of the Lernean Hydra by Heracles
Odigos Engl offset.qxd 20/10/2005 6:28 Page 39
GREEK MYTHOLOGY: "DAEDALUS AND ICARUS" - THESEUS AND MINOTAURUS"
Figures made by Eygenios Spatharis in 1985.
- Daedalus - Skilful Athenian craftsman who built the Labyrinth for the King Minos
- Icarus - The son of Daedalus
- The faithful nursemaid of the palace
- The wings of Icarus are melting
- Theseus - Great Attic hero, king of Athens who slew the Minotaur of Crete
- Minos - The king of Crete
- Theseus and Minotaur
- Ariadne and the clue of thread - Daughter of King Minos who helped Theseus to slay the Minotaur.
"THE BIRDS" OF ARISTOPHANES (444 - 380 B.C. - ATHENIAN COMIC DRAMATIST, AUTHOR OF COMEDIES)
- Karagiozis as a bird
THE TRAGEDY OF EURIPIDES "IFIGENIA AT AULIS "
Figures made by Eugenios Spatharis in 1978.
- The seer Calchas
- Iphigenia (The daughter of Agamemnon and Clytemnestra)
- The hind of goddess Artemis
- Menelaus (The brother of Agamemnon - King of Sparta)
- Achilles (King of the Myrmidons)
- Agamemnon (King of Mycenae and commander of the Greek expedition against Troy )
The comedy of Aristophanes, "Frogs" (performed in 1978 with a great success by Eugenios Spatharis (Music: Dimitris Lekkas, Dialogues: Giorgos Pavrianos - Eugenios Spatharis).
- Mikis Theodorakis, (great Greek musician and composer) as "Aeschylus"
- Manos Chatzidakis, (great Greek musician and composer) as "Euripides"
- Charon, The Minister of Civilization - Sior Dionysius and Karagiozis
SHOW - CASE I
Figures of colour cardboard made by Eugenios Spatharis from the play "Erotokritos" in 1988. The performance was based on the popular Cretan poem "Erotokritos" written by V. Kornaros.
SHOW - CASE II
Old designs and scripts of Karagiozis published in 1930 by "Aghira" and by "Saliveros" Editions, for children and parents giving them the opportunity to prepare their own shadow theatre.
SHOW - CASE II
Shadow figures made by children showing their love to their Greek hero, Karagiozis.